Tuesday 11 June 2013

AIM Pt 2: I'm sorry; I just don't remember your name

Those of you who read this blog on a regular basis will know that I had a second baby recently and one of the side effects of motherhood is a condition known as “baby brain”.  This condition affects all mothers and is characterized by a complete inability to remember anything.   


In my 7 years of motherhood I have not known this condition to reverse itself so my life revolves around constant list making.  My husband is on tenter hooks, fearing my wrath lest he throw one out trying to be helpful cleaning up the paper recycling bin known as our kitchen bench.  As soon as a new piece of information reaches my ear; a school trip, a birthday party invite on the email, an appointment to book in next week, onto the nearest list the item goes.  As I get around to completing the task it is crossed off and repeat.  My life is a constant cycle of listing items, doing said item and crossing it off.
I reckon lots of people in the church feel that this is what the Christian’s life should look like.  Read God’s “to do” lists; do said item, cross it off, move onto the next item.  This way of thinking can especially apply to His command for us to be baptized.  Baptism is this strange ritual which we only do once (or twice) in our life as a Christian and lets face it most of us do it only because Jesus told us to.  I remember a sense of relief after being baptized that I had checked it off the list of “God jobs” and now I could start on the next thing.
You would be right to correct me that my thinking about the baptism issue was all wrong.  But it does beg the question “then why has God told us to do these strange things like getting wet or eating tiny portions of bread and wine/juice?”  I think Paul has the answer (he has most of the answers to God type questions) when he tells Timothy that the law (God’s commands/”to do list”) is good if used properly with the good news about what God has done for us in Jesus Christ.  Christians should obey God’s command to get baptized, not to achieve anything, but because it is good for us!  It is good for us because it reminds us of what our saviour Jesus did for us by His death and resurrection.
So the next time you’re sitting in a baptism service don’t think “yep, done that, check!  Let’s move on people!” but think of how your sin was buried with Christ in His death and the promise of new life now and after your death because of His resurrection.  Doesn’t that feel good?

see also: Adventures in Motherhood (AIM) part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment