Tuesday 10 March 2015

AIM pt 7: The Born Identity



 I’ve heard some women comment that they found having a baby hard because their identity changed or got completely swallowed by this new thing called “motherhood”.  I can understand that struggle especially in those first six months of all consuming baby nurturing but I feel that now that my kids are older I have recovered some of my former identity.  However there is one place where my motherhood reigns supreme.  


I’m known by the kids at Daughter 1’s school as “Daughter 1’s Mum”.  I have no other reason than that for existing as far as they are concerned.  Should my daughter move away, grow up, or perish the thought, die, will that change my identity with those children?  Probably not.  Forever and always in their minds I will be Daughter 1’s Mum.

Such is us with God.  When we believed God’s promise to us that His Son died for our sins our identity was changed from rebel outsider to child.  Forever and always we are now known as God’s children, in Christ, beloved by the Father.  And nothing can ever change that, not moving away, not our sin, not other people, not The Enemy, not sickness, not even death; in fact death brings us to the fulfillment of those promises made to us and to our full identity.
 

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.  And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?  Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.  Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  As it is written,

No comments:

Post a Comment